Thursday, March 10, 2011

69th Reunion and Memorial Service




"A good time was had by all!" was a commonly heard phrase as the 69th reunion came to a close on March 5th. It was a joyous time of renewing friendships and gaining new ones. Of "remembering" at the University of Houston's archive display. Of learning about the US Navy at Guadalcanal (and the part it played in bringing our men home) from Jim Hornfischer, author of newly released
Neptune's Inferno and previously released Ship of Ghosts about the USS Houston. Of reliving Jerry Ranger's dive on the ship and his preparations for a dive this year. And remembering and honoring our crewmen who have gone before. Each one is special and will always be remembered, honored, and thanked for their service. Survivors who were able to join us this year are Marvin Sizemore, David Flynn, Basil Bunyard, Howard Brooks, Bill Ingram, and Ray Kester. We were also honored to have a number of their wives present as well.

5 comments:

Sharon Marie said...

I am passing on a blog award that I recently received. I don't know if blog awards are your cup of tea but I have listed on my blog a link to your page as being one of my selections so it may bring more traffic to your blog. You can go to my blog page at : http://homeofalonelywoman.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-blog-won-award.html

and copy and paste the award to your page if you'd like. Thanks for the informative articles on the Houston.

erwin said...

Great info! I just found you site on bing, definitely gonna check out your other entries.This page is precious, I totally loved it
==========
SEO
Services

Anonymous said...

My brother inlaw was on the Houston and survived the prison camp. I was able to take him to see the ships bell when recovered and shown on the USS Texas along with the model of the Houston. He has long passed, but the day we were on The Texas and he looked over the side of the ship and said to me I can remember how far it was to the water when we leaped off the ship.

One thing he said that was really amazing is that when he and a few others were adrift in a raft, the japs did not try to shoot them while in the water, but Aircraft flew over them wagging they wings in a salute and also the same with some of the war ships going by with seamen on deck saluting.

Anonymous said...

I've visited the gravesite of William E. Tucker, who is now resting in Golden Gate Cemetery, San Bruno,California. He was a USS Houston crew member and later slave laborer. He died when he was 21 years old in notorious 80 Kilo Camp after working on the Death Railway for one year. Let's not ever forget all those young men.

Socialfuel said...

Is the insurance company treating you terribly?
Houston Personal Injury Attorney